The Magma Open Pamphlet Competition 2018
Deadline: 25 September 2018
Magma is celebrating its 25thanniversary next year and in the run-up to this milestone we are inviting you to enter our first ever pamphlet competition, with the chance of getting published and a celebratory launch reading in 2019.
1stprize: publication of the winning pamphlet + launch reading.
Poets on the shortlist of 10 will each get a paragraph of feedback. The winner and 3 others will have a poem published in Magma.All shortlisted poets will have a poem published on our website.
Deadline: Tuesday 25thSeptember 2018
Judge: Magma Editors
- Please send us 18-24 pages of poems.
- Poems should be typed in single spacing on one side of A4 paper and in a font size of 12.
- Start each poem on a new page. Maximum 40 lines per page. If you include a poem sequence in which the poems are 14 lines long or less, then you may put two on a page.
- All poems must be your original work. They may have been published in magazines (paper or online) and anthologies but not in a pamphlet or collection.
- Poems must be in the English language or any of its dialects. They must be for adults and must not be translations of someone else’s work.
- Your pamphlet must have a title which should appear on each page. Please do a front page with the pamphlet title and list of contents.
- Entries must be anonymous. Please don’t put your name or contact details on any of the pages. And don’t give us any other information (e.g. magazine credits).
- If submitting by post: please send us two copies of your front page. Both copies should show the pamphlet title and a contents list. One copy only should also contain your contact details: name, address, email, phone number.
- If submitting through Submittable: please put the title of your pamphlet in the title box; do not include your name. In the contact details box list your name, address, email, phone number. The document you upload may be a Pdf; Word .doc or .docx.
- Anyone may enter unless they advise or work for Magma.
- Simultaneous submissions are allowed but please let us know straight away if your pamphlet has been accepted elsewhere. The fee is not refundable.
- No changes can be made once you have submitted the pamphlet.
- We won’t return your pamphlet so please keep a copy.
How to Enter
- The deadline is midnight UK time on Tuesday 25 September. Postal entries postmarked on that date will be accepted. Submittable users: we recommend you enter well before the deadline to avoid any technical problems arising from a last-minute rush.
- Entry costs £22, or £16 if you are a Magma subscriber. Non-subscribers may pay the subscribers’ rate if they take out a subscription when they enter: https://magmapoetry.com/buy-magma/
- Payment must be in pounds sterling.
- If entering by post, you may download our entry form here. Send your poems to: Magma (Pamphlet Competition), 3 Falkland Avenue, Finchley, London, N3 1QR, England. Enclose a cheque made out to Magma Poetry. Please make sure you’ve put enough stamps on the letter.
- If entering Online,Please go to our Submittable page and follow the instructions. You will be given the option to pay either by credit card or by PayPal.
- If entering from outside the UK it’s probably easier to enter online; PayPal will convert your fee to pounds sterling. But if you wish to enter by post from abroad you may do so provided you are able to include a cheque in pounds sterling.
- You may enter as many pamphlets as you like.
Judging and Results
- Entries will be read by a panel of Magma Editors’ to decide on a shortlist of 10.
- The Magma board will choose the winning pamphlet. A paragraph of feedback will be provided to all 10 poets.
- The winner and shortlisted poets will be contacted in November/December 2018.
- The winning pamphlet will be published by Magma in early 2019. Copyright will remain with the author. Magma will have the right to use any of the poems for publicity.
- Magma will hold a launch in London. We’d expect the winner to help with organisation and publicity for this.
- A poem from the winning pamphlet and one each from three shortlisted pamphlets will be published in Magma magazine.These poems will also be published on our website, along with a poem from each of the other shortlisted pamphlets.
Enter Online: go to Magma Poetry Submittable page
Enter by Post: download Magma Competition Leaflet and Printable Entry Form